Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Practising compassion at this time


In these days of extreme uncertainty and anxiety we are being called upon to rethink the way we engage with our world. With the coronavirus affecting families and communities throughout the world, we need to strengthen our inner selves to be able to not only help ourselves but to help others. 

With possibly extra time we have on our hands, we have never been so emotionally available to take into consideration the genuine feelings of others.

A lot of the things that we used to take for granted are being questioned as it begins to take its toll on the different systems that make up society. It's a great moment to practice compassion.

Compassion comes from Latin com (with) and pati (suffer). But it means much more than just picking up on the suffering around us. It goes beyond empathy as it brings a deep feeling of wanting to reach out and help. It is the opposite of egocentrism and self-pity.

If we look around us at the people with whom we have isolated together, some are definitely in a state of fear – either for their health or for their financial situation. 

We see scenes on the television of grief stricken families who cannot even attend the funeral of a deceased loved one. We see the frontline health workers courageously facing the danger of being infected. We see people affected by fake news with fear of taking the vaccine.

We see people filing for unemployment benefits if they can and lining up for food handouts. We see the poor people who live in their shantytowns with no possible way to practice social distancing. It truly is a picture of universal anguish.

At this time, I can become a rock of support for others, not only by remaining free from the hysteria but by creating an inner state of compassion, in which I can mentally embrace others who are stuck, sick or confused.

To practice this, sit comfortably. Here are some thoughts to practice compassion

I remain stable and calm internally and reach out with positive feelings that can help to calm them also.

I think about the plight of health workers at this time, and the families of those who are really ill.

I think about the unemployed and the hungry. I open my heart to embrace that suffering as well.

I think about how good it feels when I am truly compassionate. 

I will understand the suffering of others and have the desire to alleviate if I could. What is my new language for the self and others?

I look at myself and my recent behaviour. I go beyond any self-criticism and practice self compassion.

I become a detached observer of myself and of the present moment of humanity and its collective systemic suffering.

I send so much peace that it soothes the heart of humanity.

What can I do to be truly healthy, happy and wise? I just have to be more compassionate.

As we practice this more are more we find our own situations becoming easier.

From my Youtube channel, Live and Meditate,

Image: Sompong Rattanakunchon, Credit: Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment