Monday, November 30, 2020

How to overcome temptations?


We all get them. An attractive proposal that I can't possibly take up. A bar of Belgian chocolate that my aunt just gave me, even though the doctor prohibited chocolate only last week. An alarm clock trying to wake me up at 5 a.m. after I got to bed at 2. Dilemmas and temptations surround our lives. Should I give, take, do, avoid the thing that is dangling in front of me.
Let's take the example of getting up early after sleeping only a few hours. It's a working day and takes more than an hour commute to get to work. To complicate the matter, it's cold and rainy outside. The temptation to stay in my warm bed activates the inner dialogue between knowing and wanting. 
Wanting: 'Arrrgh. I'll put the alarm on snooze. I need more sleep.' 
Knowing: 'Get up. I have to go to work.' 
Wanting: 'But it's really cold out. So cosy and comfortable in bed.'
Knowing: 'Come on, get up lazybones. I can't be late again. They're laying people off at work. Don't run the risk.' 
Wanting: 'Just another five minutes.' 
Knowing: 'No. The last time I took five minutes, I slept for another hour and missed the bus.'
Wanting: 'Ohhh. Okay.'
Such inner conflict can keep us restless and ready to get into conflict with others.
When I know what I really want and direct my wanting towards that I will be happier, simpler and easier with myself.
Temptations can become the enemy of self-discipline. When overcome, they can be the stepping stones to personal victory. 

Text from the Live and Meditate Channel (https://www.youtube.com/liveandmeditate and https://www.facebook.com/liveandmeditate/) Video #91

No comments:

Post a Comment